The Assistant Editor plays a key role in executing AFAR’s editorial vision by developing, writing, and editing stories for both digital and print.
- Pitch, assign, edit, and write day-of stories for AFAR.com
- Own beats for AFAR.com such as arts and culture, outdoor adventure, food and drink, or LGBTQ coverage
- Write and edit print magazine front-of-book pages, special packages, and sidebars
- Assist senior editors with research, writing, production, and basic photo research for digital and print features and packages
- Develop a robust travel industry network through meetings with travel PR representatives
- Smart editorial instincts
- Excellent organizational, communication, and time management skills.
- An orientation towards high-quality professional journalism
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Excellent reporting and writing skills
- Experience working in a CMS
- Comfortable doing basic photo editing and sizing
- Familiar with social media platforms
- Experience with video and podcasting a plus
- Team player who enjoys collaborating with others and gets satisfaction from helping teammates do their best
- Must be a proactive self-starter with a collaborative spirit
- Must possess the ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Must be detail-oriented and deadline-savvy
- Must have a passion for travel, and be interested in conceptualizing new and interesting ways to cover travel
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com to apply.