AFAR Media is seeking an experienced, enthusiastic branded and custom content director to join our team. The ideal candidate has 10+ years of editorial or branded content experience; preference will be given to those candidates who have worked with clients and agencies in prior roles. Must-haves: Editorial acumen, marketing savvy, strong project management skills, a keen understanding of branded/custom content and client needs, exceptional communication skills, and strong attention to detail. Experience in the travel category preferred. This role reports directly to the VP, Marketing.
- Manage multiple content programs to deliver a seamless, turnkey process for in-house stakeholders and external clients.
- Create and execute plans for large-scale, multi-year custom programs with AFAR partners.
- Conceptualize, assign, and produce sponsored and custom content—in the form of print and digital content, social media, video, and events—for AFAR’s advertising and marketing partners.
- Meet with clients and partners to listen to their challenges and develop effective content solutions that deliver on their needs
- Work closely with AFAR’s sales, marketing, and editorial teams to develop innovative and proactive content ideas for marketing partners
- Track performance of content programs to ensure that campaigns meet their KPIs and to advise clients and internal teams on best practices for branded and custom content
- Collaborate with designers (in-house and freelance) to ensure all projects are visually compelling and deliver on key messaging.
- Recruit, cultivate, manage, and retain one full-time editor and top freelance talent, including but not limited to editors, writers, and designers.
- Work with the AFAR Travel Advisory Council, AFAR Ambassadors, and social media influencers to produce content. Develop and manage influencer partnerships
- Ensure ASME compliance on all projects.
- Confident strategic and creative thinker who wants to roll up his/her sleeves
- At least 10 years of experience as an editor and/or writer
- Managerial and team-building experience
- Must be a proactive self-starter with a collaborative spirit
- Ability to initiate and manage multiple projects at a time; hire and manage project-based content teams
- Must have an excellent sense of urgency and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with multiple teams at once, including, but not limited to design, marketing, sales, and editorial
- Differentiation and quality are what AFAR is known for, so it’s important that candidates bring that to the table
- Experience managing freelancers
- Experience managing and communicating with clients
- Technical skills: InDesign, CMS, and Google analytics.