AFAR Media is seeking a highly organized and talented photo editor to help shape and lead visual storytelling efforts across our print magazine, website, newsletters, and social platforms. The photo editor will play a pivotal role evolving the AFAR brand as we undertake a redesign of the AFAR brand, starting with the print magazine. The ideal candidate has a background in photojournalism, a passion for commissioning and editing original photography, as well as experience with sourcing photos from third-party agencies or other sources. As Photo Editor, you will own our daily photo assignments: researching the perfect art to complement a story as well as commissioning original photography with diversity of subjects, location, and photographers in mind. This person is equal parts a creative visionary and an expert producer.
This role will work closely with the editorial department and report to the creative director. This role will be contract to hire and is open to being fully remote.
- Work with the creative director and editorial team to define and craft the look of AFAR
- Collaborate with writers, editors, designers, and photographers to shape ideas into visual storytelling opportunities
- Commission original photography for the print magazine, both for feature stories and photo essays, managing both the budget and timeline
- Concepting and researching ideas for photo driven stories and packages
- Source photos for front of book, back of book and special packages sections of the magazine
- Work with cross-functional partners on photography needs and requests.
- Research, select, deliver, and report images from third party stock agencies and/or directly communicate with identified merchants to secure images for use in stories or branded content
- Focus on working with a diverse range of subjects and photographers, keeping our global and multigenerational audience in mind.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with upcoming photographers who are on the rise as part of the AFAR ethos to be a platform for fresh and emerging talent
- Assist on other AFAR photo projects or needs as identified
- 8+ years experience as a photo editor + researcher in a media context, travel experience a plus
- Established relationships with creatives throughout the photo industry including photographers, agencies, and studios
- Passionate about responsible representation and creating purpose-driven work
- Understanding of image licensing process including both through stock agencies and as obtained directly from photographers and other sources
- Exceptional communication and project management skills
- Goal-oriented, assertive, and very well organized
- Comfort with budgeting and financial tracking
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply